Can’t let the day go by without noting that it’s 2/1/21. And later tonight it’ll be 2/1/21 (day) and 21:21:21… (time). Just sayin’.
Yesterday I plugged Chuck Wendig’s Wanderers as a great book, implying that I think you should read it. Today I need to modify that plug – you should only read it if you have no real-world pandemic anxiety. The parallels in the book with today’s reality are a bit much. I have only mild pandemic anxiety and the book triggered me in some passages, such as:
- Descriptions of invasive nasal swabs used for plague tests
- White supremacists who take advantage of the plague’s chaos to try to bring down the government
- The dread of not knowing if you’re infected and/or infectious
- Empty streets as people stay home to avoid being infected
- Media charlatans ranting about imaginary cures and causes
- Signs warning those with symptoms to stay away or face violence
And on and on. I’ve never seen a work of fiction predict reality with so much detail. It’s…weird. Unsettling. I can only imagine how Wendig feels.